This week’s Top Ten Tuesday prompt from Jana @ That Artsy Reader Girl is on short stories and novellas I’ve read and loved. I don’t often read short stories. The bulk of my short story and novella reading happened when I was an undergrad studying English literature.
That was a long time ago.
Let’s get to the list of short stories I remember liking, shall we?
- “Sonny’s Blues” by James Baldwin — this one is still my favorite of all time.
- “A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings” by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- “A Painful Case” by James Joyce
- “The Story of an Hour” by Kate Chopin
- “The Yellow Wallpaper” by Charlotte Perkins Gillman
And the few that I’ve enjoyed recently:
- Binti by Nnedi Okorafor
- “Am I Blue?” by Bruce Coville (In Am I Blue? edited by Marion Dane Bauer
- Love Will Tear Us Apart by Alaya Dawn Johnson (in Zombies vs. Unicorns edited by Justine Larbalastier and Holly Black)
- “Number 2” by Neal Shusterman (in Mindquakes and Other Stories) — I loved using this one with my students to teach inference and to model prosody.
- Destroy Me and Fracture Me by Tahereh Mafi
What novellas and/or short stories have you read and loved? Leave me a link to your TTT so I can visit.