Today I’m linking up with The Broke and the Bookish for this year’s Top Ten Tuesday Valentines Day post. Today I’m going to lay out for you the star-crossed lovers that I’ve read about and remember. I’m going lazy today, though, and no book covers. Just a list, and maybe some explanation.
- Romeo & Juliet from Romeo & Juliet by Shakespeare. How can you have a list like this without these two characters? For never was a story of more teenage instalove than this of Juliet and her Romeo.
- Romiette & Julio from Romiette & Julio by Sharon Draper. I think this was the first updated Romeo & Juliet story I ever read, so it holds a soft spot in my heart.
- Eleanor & Park from Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell. I enjoyed this story that absolutely broke my heart.
- Brittany Ellis & Alex Fuentes from Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles. My students tend to like these characters. I think it has something to do with them thinking that Alex is a cholo.
- Hazel & Augustus from The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. From the ubiquity of this title, I don’t think I really need to explain.
- Celia & Marco from The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Every time I read this, I’m not sure whether or not Celia and Marco will make it out of the circus in one piece. I feel like Meg Ryan’s character in You’ve Got Mail when she’s talking about her readings of Pride & Prejudice.
- Karou & Akiva from Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. I rooted for these two throughout the three-book series. So many challenges they had to go up against. Thinking about them makes me want to listen to the series again.
- Marko & Alana from Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples. Their star-crossed nature is obvious from the beginning, but Saga is star-crossed lovers meets space opera. And it’s oh, so fantastic.
I’m going to stop at eight because I can’t think of any more off the top of my head that I really want to highlight.
What’s on your Top Ten list today?