This week, The Broke and the Bookish ask us to list the top 10 authors we automatically buy books from. Here are mine.
- Nnedi Okorafor — We haven’t purchased Book of Phoenix yet (Tracie wanted to wait for the paperback), but ever since we read Akata Witch, there was no question about purchasing books by this amazing author.
- Jacqueline Woodson — My love for Woodson began with If You Come Softly. I’ve purchased so many of her books since. When we have children, I want to read her picture books with them.
- Neal Shusterman — I think the origin story of my love for Shusterman had something to do with his Dark Fusion series. And then, when I ran around Albuquerque to find him a copy of Unwind so he could read an excerpt at the 2009 New Mexico Library Association Conference and I got to have lunch with him… yeah. Fan for life.
- Patrick Ness — Chaos Walking. Which I bought because Half-Price Bookstore carried the UK edition with the clear cover. And then A Monster Calls. I mean seriously. His writing is effing amazing.
- John Green. I am a Nerdfighter. Enough said.
- Octavia Butler — She gave me permission to be Black and love science fiction. She also happens to be Tracie’s favorite author. Bonus!
- Laurie Halse Anderson — Because, honestly, when an author goes ape-shit and sends me a million tweets after I tell her a kid loved her book then apologizes for blowing up my mentions… when an author doesn’t feel well but still delivers a speech to a ballroom full of teachers while lying on the floor… when an author… Oh, hell. She’s just amazing.
- A. S. King — There’s something about King’s books that I love. I can’t remember what my first was – it might have been Reality Boy and then I bought all the others from there.
- Fabio Moon & Gabriel Ba — Tracie picked up Daytripper from the library on a whim. Six months later, we found a copy at a comic book shop in Cleveland and HAD to buy it. Moon (I think) has a short story in one of the collections of Flight, edited by Kazu Kibuishi and it’s one that made us both cry tears of absolute loveliness. If you read no other authors on this list, check out these guys. Stunningly moving storytelling.
- Brian Selznick — Another amazing storyteller. I use his books to teach my students about reading images.
Whose books do you auto-buy?