A friend of mine asked me to do a video about Black History Month, so I decided to put together a list of five books that speak to and/or have helped me deal with cultural insensitivity recently. Here they are.
- One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia
- Copper Sun by Sharon Draper
- X: A Novel by Ilyasah Shabazz and Kekla Magoon
- Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis
- Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson
Just a little bit of commentary:
One Crazy Summer and Brown Girl Dreaming are my two favorite books on this list. I was reading One Crazy Summer while I was dealing with some people who didn’t understand why I got so mad about specific cultural things.
Brown Girl Dreaming, my partner gave me for our anniversary. I’d been talking about it and talking about it and every time I mentioned it she told me not to buy it. Best anniversary present ever.
That’s all, really. Read any of these? Planning on reading any of these? Let me know in the comments here or on the video. Happy reading!