Worksheets and Homework
How do you respond when a parent asks why no extensive homework or worksheets?
- Students aren’t actively engaged
- they pick up the pattern of the worksheets
- There is frustration when the work can’t be completed
- After school should be family time
- Doesn’t take into account SES
Commercial Reading Programs and Guided Reading
Basal readers, etc.
Students don’t get a real literacy experience when readings are truncated or dumbed down
Stories aren’t authentic
Vocabulary is controlled
Rewards & Accelerated Reader (See http://www.sdkrashen.com for more info)
- It’s all about the reward
- Doesn’t build a love of reading
- Doesn’t take into account those readers who struggle, or the kids who love to read, or those who choose harder/longer text
Garan, E. (2007). Smart Answers to Tough Questions. New York: Scholastic.